Monday, July 6, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!

Mom, I got you a birthday card last night. It was only 10 Baht, but there’s a flower on it. And it was hand-made. Not by me, though (which is probably a good thing).

It just occurred to me that I haven’t looked in a mirror in years, it seems. Until today. It was weird. I just use the kids as my mirror. If they’re clean, then I assume I’m clean. If they’re dirty, then I figure I should wash up a little.

Uncle Sam left this morning. Tete & her husband drove us to the airport & off he went. Sad. :(

We then went to pick up three little 8 yr old girls. You-pee, You-pah, and Lah-lee-dah. That’s not actually how you spell their names, but that’s how you pronounce them. You-pee & You-pah are twins. They were dropped off at the center when they were infants, and the staff here raised them. We don’t know where their parents are, but they’re definitely in a good place here. And just so you know, they’re girls. You’ll think their boys in my pictures, but they’re girls. And sweet ones. Lah-lee-dah is Tete’s niece. Her parents live down the road, and they’re also closely involved with the HRDC.

We went to the airport mall. I got some nail polish to take back to Musekee; I’m planning a girls night! :) The three girls were mesmerized by the escalators and elevators and…the automatic sink. They’d keep slapping their hand on the top of the faucet & were so confused when no water came out. Then the automatic hand dryer. What a hit! Hysterical.

Then off to the Chiang Mai Zoo…the kids kept saying “Pan-dahh!!”, & there were banners all over advertising it, but we never actually saw a pandahhh. But the zoo is not wheelchair friendly. It’s barely traction-less shoes friendly. Oye. But Lah-lee-dah kept turning back & holding out her hand for me to take as we walked on the slippery paths. And she’d point at patches of grass or a dry stone for me to step on. Precious.
We’re in the middle of doing errand upon errand. Gotta get those kids some sweet curry chicken!

No comments: