Monday, July 13, 2009

What Consequences?

We had an eventful morning. We were going to take the Sihamit school kids (our high schoolers go here) to school, but then one of the truck drivers (which is a big story in itself…I’ll tell you about it when I tell you Tete’s story) came back & was going to take the kids to school on his way back to Chiang Mai instead. So the kids pile into the truck, but it won’t start. So they pile back out and push it until the engine purrs itself back to life. They’re off. And I pray that they get to school safely. Then all of a sudden we hear this LOUD squawking. Actually, it’s not even a squawking. I don’t know how to explain it. But it’s loud. Tanin runs off without a word & comes back holding a chicken. The dog attacked it. Bad dog! So the chicken (yes, it’s a pet chicken) gets some tender loving care, then we have breakfast. I look at my watch & conclude that it’s way too early to have this sort of excitement.

Our breakfast conversation led me to another conclusion: I am so glad I don’t live in Old Testament times. As Tete puts it, “If I lived back then, I’d be gone a long time ago. Or I wouldn’t have even been born!” Small lapses of faith led to big consequences. Hagar and Ishmael. Can you imagine watching your son die in the desert? All because of Sarah’s impulsive decision. Luckily, Ishmael survived. And Moses striking that rock in anger. Etc etc.

We have to live a deliberate life. And with the New Testament, we have grace now, which is a life saver. We don’t get struck down; we get second chances.

I spent the morning on the computer finishing that song book. It’s almost ready to hit the press. Yes.

After the kids came back from school, I taught a handful of girls—and one boy, Saksiy!—some motions to three songs. Originally, 7 girls volunteered. But in the past few days, more people have come up to me and said, “I want to dance!” And to make their point clear, they wave their hands in the air & do some hip shaking; it’s cute. After singing “Still” yesterday, I’ve heard several children humming the song. So I decided to put motions to it. I don’t have a full-length mirror or anything like that, so I’ve been making up the motions in my head. Haha. Tweaking them here & there. I finally got the finished product, and boy, the kids learn fast! I quickly had to figure out how to say “left” and “right”, but once I got that down, it was smooth sailing.

“I-L-O-V-E-Y-O-U love you!”

No comments: