Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Okay, Please Put Down That Gun

A day or two before I left, I spent the afternoon watching Methom weave/taking occasional attempts at weaving on my own. Another staff lady came in, chatting with Methom and keeping us company. Then she left. Minutes later, I heard voices, Methom hurriedly told me to keep weaving, then SPRINTED out. So I'm about to set things up when two men walk in. One guy has a HUGE gun. Huge. They're wearing camo pants. A somewhat conversation ensues. It's mostly me looking at them in disdain.

I hear the words "Methom", "police", lots of pointing to themselves and to the weaving and to me. They're kind of laughing, kind of trying to tell me what to do. And I'm just thinking, "Yes, I'm scared. I know Thai police are corrupt, oh no. Don't stare at the gun...."

Then I got annoyed with them. Obviously, I don't speak Thai. Stop talking and laughing at me. So I continued to give them an annoyed/blank stare. Crazy thoughts are running through my head. Why did Methom run off? Is she in trouble? Am I set up?

They point at me and tell me to go outside with them. I go. They stand in the porch area of the female dorm (the weaving area is on the first floor of the dorm), and I just stand at the doorway, barely answering their questions. I don't see any staff people in sight. Umm...?

Finally, Akhom walks by. I give him a look telling him to come over NOW. The guy puts his gun in the truck. They all talk. Finally one guy acts like he's taking a picture, then shows me his ID card. Akhom tells me they're here to get Karen shirts from Methom. I eventually put it all together. OH! The Thai government wants to be more serious about identification and wants each person to have an ID card. But since it's nearly impossible for everyone in the villages to go to Chiang Mai & get their picture taken, the government sent people to Musekee.

The gun is for protection.

But what were they thinking bringing a gun into a female dorm? It was four feet long.

So the two men and the staff just have a little chat, and I laugh it off. But next time they should leave the gun in the truck and be less annoying.

No comments: