Monday, July 20, 2009

I woke up with my glasses on and a bookmark right under my chin. I definitely could see my dreams clearly (that’s what my mom says every time I fall asleep with my glasses on), as I dreamt of ants. Yuck. I won’t dwell on the hours of 9:30pm-5am.

Once I stepped outside, though, all was well with the world. We got the Sihamit kids to school, hung out with Tanin & Ahkom at breakfast (Tete had to bring a couple sick children to the hospital), cut up a durian. Yum??

Now Nethom is teaching me how to make my own Karen shirt. YES! She’s the lady in charge of the crafts who took me on the excursion to the resort. Earlier, she bought me stuff to put on my mosquito bites. They’re still HUGE from that Chiang Mai house. When she came back from the corner store, another woman came over and both of them slathered me in the mosquito stuff. I feel minty and tingly, it’s great! But I really hope I don’t have malaria….

As for the weaving, wow. I made a ‘template’ of sorts by twirling and twisting the thread over and over around a few sticks (I have pictures!), then Nethom began the actual weaving. She did some fancy design and tomorrow, I’ll do the simple part. Haha. But it’s unbelievable how you can make all these designs just by sticking a couple sticks in the thread a certain way. So cool.

After lunch, it’s back to the songbook. We’ve gotta copy and paste the Thai next to the English….

Oh, and I got chicken poop all over my leg. And it’s raining. I hope I get no ant visitors today. Or ever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yuck... durian. there are ants invading the doors in the back of my house. they are everywhere inside the door frame and window frame...