Saturday, July 18, 2009

Elephants & Monkeys

We’ve been listening to a country music station in the car. They call themselves “country” but play songs like “Losing My Religion” and all my high school dance theme songs (“Stairway to Heaven”, “Highway to the Danger Zone”, you get the picture). Haha.

Elephant camp. Elephants are cute from afar and just HUGE & wrinkly from up close. They did a hilarious show, then we rode one! Bumpy ride. I thought the twins were gonna fall out of the cart. We also went to a monkey place where all these monkeys did tricks. Entertain, entertain! It was kind of bizarre, but whatever.

Afterwards, we picked up a girl who used to live at the center in Musekee. Lepau (I think), who Janna (the amazing person who told me about the HRDC!) sponsors. We all went to the Nang Fa house, which is a project Tete’s working on. A fashion designer contacted her about starting a project where bar girls can come live and make purses, etc etc. So this designer rented a house and we went to check it out, clean it, figure out what needs to be done…And it’s a really nice place! Part of it used to be a coffee shop (if I opened a coffee shop, it’d look like this one), and two words that come to mind in describing it are “boho chic”. I think the owner of the house has a clothing business with a factory nearby.

Anyway, right now the twins and I are staying in the house for the night. We’ve hit some minor bumps, but everyone’s still alive. The girls were really excited about taking a bath, but I turned on the water, and mud came out. I let it run for awhile, but the water only turned to yellow. So I gave them baths in the sink. :) But when I got to the 2nd girl, the sink all of a sudden clogged up so the water wouldn’t go down.

Oh, and Yupin did her business on the toilet…and couldn’t flush it down. YIKES. I’ve been wondering how these girls stay so skinny because they eat tons. I mean, TONS. They’re also very active, and I’m sure the calories get burned with their constant movement, but wow. So I go in the bathroom, and she’s using this water sprayer and shooting water at it. Hahaha. By now, Yupa is all curious, so I have to go tell her to do her homework (again). I check and see if she’s actually doing it, and all I see is drawing. I have no clue how to make sure it’s her real homework, but whatever.

Minutes later, I hear an excited voice. The toilet bowl’s clear. Yes.

The girls eventually finish their homework (both did a drawing…), then I let one of them watch TV & the other play Minesweeper on the computer. Now their watching the movie, Ants, on TV. In English!!

[I just learned how to play Minesweeper. Wow. Cool game!!!]

No comments: