Sunday, July 5, 2009

ARE YOU DELICIOUS??

“Are you delicious?” <--Just popped into my head. The other day, Tanin told me how he used to ask the visitors, “Are you delicious?” (All in reference to the meal they just ate.) It wasn’t until several “Are you delicious?” utterings later that someone corrected him. Do you think the food is delicious?

We left this morning for Chiang-Mai. We made some unexpected (well, unexpected to me, planned for Tete & her husband) stops along the way. After driving a couple hours on a dirt road, we arrive at a village that’s part of the HRDC. Maedet Village. We walk up these dangerous wooden steps (all the wooden steps here are ‘dangerous’) into a room with pews and an altar.

We’re at church.

What an experience! Tete translated a bit, but it was as if we didn’t need it. I could feel the songs sung by the people (the Karen people LOVE music, so it’s been really musically satisfying here) and the words just fill my heart. And the people are beyond welcoming. I can’t get enough of it. During the service, we introduced ourselves. And at the very end, Uncle Sam gave the closing prayer. In Cantonese. I’ll just describe this experience as “cool”.

We just had lunch at the ‘house’ across the street. Some people who used to live at the children’s home in Musekee came here after they graduated. They’re developing this village and are supported by a church in the states—the church helps them with rent, etc. They cooked our food in this huge pot over a fire; it was surreal. Uncle Sam said, “I’ve never even experienced something like this before.” And he’s done a lot!

The people here have everything. They grow what they eat; they don’t need money to survive.

Oh, it’s pouring rain right now. And I’m wearing stupid Old Navy flip flops. I thought I’d be sitting in a car all day, not walking up muddy slip sliding hills. This aspect of village life is getting old!

No comments: