Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Conversation

The following conversation has been running through my head a lot lately:

[Phone rings]

Mom: Hello?
Me: Hi Mom!!
Mom: Jess! SO good to hear your voice (etc etc etc).
Me: Yeah. Same here! Umm...
Mom: Are you okay?? How are you? Where are you? What are you doing?
Me: Umm, I need another plane ticket home.
Mom: But your ticket is electronic! So you can just print it out when you get to the airport.
Me: No, I need another one in addition to mine.
Mom: What are you talking about?
Me: You see, I'm kind of bringing home someone. I adopted a kid. Well, not exactly adopt. I'm just bringing her home. But she's SOO cute. I couldn't NOT take her. She NEEDS me. The most adorable thing ever. You'd love her too! I know you will. And I'll probably need a bigger apartment in Chicago. Or maybe we shouldn't even sell the house. Or maybe I should take another year off. Maybe you can even move back to Illinois? I'm so glad you picked up the phone because I knew you'd understand!

Scenario 1 (the most desirable one):
Mom: Oh wow! Well, I'm glad she's cute. I can't wait to see the two of you. Okay, I'll get another plane ticket. And I'll buy her some cute clothes so she'll have fun things to wear when she gets here. See you soon!
Me: Great, thanks! Love you!

Scenario 2:
Well, I haven't exactly imagined a Scenario 2 because I always just assume Scenario 1 will come true.

2 comments:

Grace in Style said...

Aww I wish you could bring them all home...=0) Seriously, there's plenty of room and love for them in our home.

LOVE YOU!!!

Christy said...

hahaha at first when I read how you were hypothetically saying that you were bringing someone home, I thought you were gonna say you were bringing home a GUY!!

Cute kids are better though. :) Can't wait to see you soon!!