Monday, June 29, 2009

Grateful

I am so thankful for you.

I know I wrote about this in a previous entry, but God definitely had his thinking cap on when creating the world. He could have easily created billions of planets, one person per planet, with just enough distance between each so that no one could peer into someone else's world. We all know what He did instead. All 6-ish billion of us are meant to live in one world. Together.

There's no way I'd be able to go on this trip alone. Although I'm going 'by myself' with reckless abandon (well, maybe not "reckless abandon", but something tamer along those lines), I need you. And your kind words, encouragement, advice, and prayers upon prayers mean the world to me. I am insignificant on my own & am often overwhelmed by my inadequacy, but I pray that God will do something mighty through me. His grace is sufficient for me, and His strength is made perfect when I am weak.

I look back to May 2008 & remember walking into Barnes & Noble, looking for a planner. I finally found one that was just the right size with just the right amount of lines for each day; I marveled at the blank pages. But slowly, and sometimes swiftly, the lines filled up. Each day was such a gift, and these days turned into the most meaningful year of my life. But it was only meaningful because of the people in it. People like you.

It's hard to leave the many homes & families that I love. I wish I could take you with me (in a way, though, this blog allows me to!). But something the speaker said at church today eased my heart. Way back in the day, God's people traveled a lot, so their places of worship were temporary. Once they got to their next destination, they would set up a tent (aka the tabernacle). God always met them there. Always. And He continues to do so, wherever I am. Wherever you are.

In the afternoon, I'm taking a direct flight from NJ to Hong Kong. The next day, I fly to Thailand. I soaked all my clothes in permethrin this afternoon and am fully loaded with vaccines (in my body) and malaria pills/bug & sun protection/everything (in my suitcases). I've got all sorts of wonderful pens and laptops dispersed throughout, and instead of a planner, my carry-on has a Moleskine journal. (This trip became official on Wednesday, as I stopped by Barnes & Noble for this Moleskine after my last round of vaccines.)

Thanks again for being a part of my story. I'll be back on July 27th, 2009.
I have you in my heart.

4 comments:

toeknee said...

Moleskines are great. it makes you look smarter and seem more creative. I just finished my first one!

Christy said...

Thanks for that reminder, Jess. Yes, God is where we are--he's not limited by any particular building or place. That's such a comfort and a joy for us! Praying for you!!

Grace in Style said...

I hope those kids love the Camp Rock pens and whatnot haha!
Miss you!

Grace in Style said...
This comment has been removed by the author.